Sunday, August 12, 2007

Past Due!

Sorry everyone, we didn't have an internet connection in Kentucky, and I was too tired to post more last night, so I'll do a big update now!

So the last I talked about was arriving in Missouri. That was so terrible, I can't say it enough. I think the humidity was like 110% and it was 98 degrees. Blah. After packing up the next day, we drove through Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and into Kentucky. We had to stop in Missouri for an oil change, and then drove pretty much straight the rest of the way. Illinois was a lot flatter than I expected. It didn't even have the tiny rolling hills of Kansas. Indiana was a little better, and Kentucky was pretty. Lots of horses and pretty hills.

Driving in, we stopped to get gas. One of the locals saw our license plates, and asked "Washington, is that up by New York?" I can't get the proper twang here, but wow. We stayed in Renfro Valley, right next to the Kentucky Country Music Hall of Fame. The gift stores were odd... We went in one and it was full of dolls and country music memorabilia. We got our post cards, but the one I got I'm pretty sure is a picture of the GRAND CANYON with "Kentucky" written across the front. Yikes!

On Saturday we left Kentucky, and traveled south into Tennessee and the Smokey Mountains. We got almost as far as Knoxville. I still don't believe that those are Mountains. From there we headed north through the Appalachians. They were a little bigger, but still tiny! We missed the "Welcome to Virginia" sign :( The first one we missed, and we're staying here for 4 days! Oh well.

The weird thing for us has been the lack of things you can see from the freeway. In Washington, towns are built on both sides of the freeway, but even in some of the "larger" cities you can't see them from the freeway.

Anyway, we're all awake now, and It's my turn for a shower. Today we're hanging around Portsmouth, and we'll probably go up toward Charlottesville and Richmond tomorrow, then Busch Gardens on Tuesday. Anyway, ta ta for now!

No comments: