Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Day ....I lost track..4?

It was dark when we woke up this morning. When the rooster came around to wake everyone up, he was to late. I had already woken up all the neighbors by vacuum packing all our bedding. So I kicked him in the face and said “Not today buddy.” Ok, I didn’t actually kick a rooster…though I may have being that is was 4:30am and I’m normally a little irritable.
We got an early start this morning because today was one of the longest driving days of the trip. On top of that, we were losing an hour going into a new time zone so we had very little time to waste. We left our desolate campsite in Kingman, AZ and headed to the Grand Canyon.
As a child, I visited the Grand Canyon for a day. I remembered being there because it was the last major stop until we got to Disneyland. I have to stress that I truly didn’t appreciate the majesty of the area until today. Peering into the giant chasms that run as far as the eye can see, you can not help but be completely awe struck. We spent much more time than we had expected to there…mainly because we couldn’t pull ourselves away from canyon edge, and any time there was a viewpoint with a decent view into the Canyon we stopped for a few pictures. All in all, we got something like 200 pictures and 5 minutes of video around the Canyon.
The rest of the day was pretty boring. Arizona really has nothing going for it other than beautiful landscapes. We didn’t think about lunch until noon and decided to stop at the next place that looked like good food to eat. Around 3 o’ clock, we finally stopped in Cortez, CO for lunch. This was because the entire 3 hour drive through Arizona had nothing but gas stations and creepy looking Navajo trading posts, of which, none looked like someplace I would like to eat. On top of it all, there was a CHARGE to stand at 4 corners. The whole area was fenced off and they were charging 3 bucks a person to stand in 4 states at once. Are you kidding me?
Finally pulled into our spot in Alamosa, CO around 8 o’clock and set up camp. And though, there are a lot more mosquitoes and the showers smell suspiciously of egg…I like it here much more than last night.
Tomorrow, We will leave the Rockies behind and face the long, flat, straight of Moria…I mean Kansas. Mileage wise, tomorrow is the longest day I think, however, it’s all straight, no-stops except Bathroom and Food, and flat driving. Uploaded a few GC pictures…will have more tomorrow, Battery is running low for the night. See ya tomorrow!
Jason
Total Mileage: 637.1 miles
Gas prices: 2.74 in Kingman 2.88 in Tonalea

No comments: